14 April-Irish Tricolour

The Irish tricolour is the national flag of Ireland. It is a vertical tricolour of green white and orange. The flag symbolises the inclusion of the people of different traditions on the island of Ireland. Though first unveiled in 1848 the Irish tricolour was only formally adopted as the national flag of Ireland in 1937.

The flag of Ireland was first unveiled at a meeting in Waterford City on March 7th 1848. It was brought to Ireland from France by the Young Irelander Thomas Francis Meagher. Meagher had gone to France with other members of the Young Ireland movement to study revolutionary activities. During his time there he was presented with the tricolour by a group of French women who were sympathetic to the Irish cause.

Following the unveiling in Waterford Meagher formally presented the flag to the citizens of Ireland at a meeting in Dublin in April 1848. At the presentation he stated: ‘The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between the orange and the green’. The tricolour was raised over the General Post Office in Dublin during the Easter Rising of 1916. It was adopted as the flag of Ireland by the Government following independence in 1922 and was given constitutional status in 1937.

The Irish tricolour, the national flag of Ireland, was presented to the citizens of Ireland at a meeting in Dublin in the year 1848 On This Day.

Irish Tricolour

The statue of Meagher at the Mall in Waterford, Ireland

 

 

 

13 April-F W Woolworth

Woolworth was an international retail company. It was founded by Frank Winfield Woolworth in Utica, New York on February 22nd 1878. During the 20th century it became one of the largest retail chains in the world. Woolworth’s had stores in Ireland, including one at 24/25 Tullow Street Carlow in Carlow town.

Frank Winfield Woolworth was born into a farming family in Rodman, New York in 1852. In 1873, he began working as a stock boy in a general store. He observed how a clearance by the store of leftover items at reduced prices was a success. He opened his own five-and-ten-cent stores which became very successful.

Following its foundation the Woolworth Corporation began to expand. By 1904 the corporation was operating stores across the US and Canada. Woolworth’s opened its first store in Great Britain in the city of Liverpool in 1909. The first Woolworth store in Ireland opened on Grafton Street in Dublin in 1914. F W Woolworth was one of the wealthiest people in the world at the time of his death on April 8th 1919

Following the opening of the store in Dublin in 1914 further Woolworth stores were opened across Ireland. These included stores at 24/25 Tullow Street Carlow and at 91/92 High Street Kilkenny. By the 1980’s the Woolworth business was in decline. All Woolworth stores in Ireland were closed down in 1984 and the company went out of business and ceased trading on July 17th 1997.

F W Woolworth founder of the Woolworth international retail business was born in New York in the year 1852 On This Day.

WOOLWORTH

 

 

12 April-‘Rock Around the Clock’

‘Rock Around the Clock’ is a rock and roll song which has been called the The National Anthem of Rock ‘n’ Roll. It was recorded in New York in 1954 by Bill Haley & His Comets. The song became a No 1 hit and recordings sold in their millions around the world.

Bill Haley was a singer, musician and songwriter who was native of the United States. He is considered by many to be the father of ‘Rock and Roll’. Haley’s was a member of a musical family and he was influenced by country music. His musical genres included: Rock and roll, country and rockabilly.

‘Rock Around the Clock’ was written in 1952 by songwriter and lyricist Max C. Freedman and songwriter and music publisher James E. Myers. It was recorded as the B-side of the song ‘Thirteen Women’. It became a hit in 1955 following its use in the film ‘Blackboard Jungle’. The song was No 1 hit and became wildly popular with teenagers around the world. It has featured in several films and has been recorded in over 30 languages.

‘Rock Around the Clock’, a song which has been called the The National Anthem of Rock ‘n’ Roll, was recorded by Bill Hayley & His Comets in the year 1954 On This Day.

Rock Around The Clock

09-01-1956_14052 City Theater

11 April-St Mogue

Clonmore is a village located in the north-east of Co Carlow, Ireland. It has a population of around 400. The village is named after St Mogue ( Naomh Maodhóg). He built a monastery and founded a religious community in the area in the early part of the sixth century.

St Mogue was descended from Dunlang who, at the end of the third century, was King of Leinster. St Mogue established a religious community in Clonmore around the year 530 AD. Known for working many miracles during his lifetime St Mogue worked to promote peace amongst the Irish Chieftains of the time.

The Feast Day of St Mogue, Abbot (in the 6th century) of Clonmore, Co Carlow, Ireland is celebrated every year On This Day.

Image from page 272 of “Lives of the Irish saints : with special festivals, and the commemorations of holy persons, compiled from calendars, martyrologies and various sources, relating to the ancient Church history of Ireland” (1875)

 

10 April-Grattan Bridge Dublin

Grattan Bridge is one of twenty four road, rail and passenger bridges which span the river Liffey in the greater Dublin area. The bridge connects Parliament Street and the south quays to Capel Street. It is named in honour of the politician Henry Grattan (1746-1820). Grattan was one of the leaders of the opposition to the Act of Union of 1800.

Located 800m upriver from the Ha’penny Bridge, Grattan Bridge was originally known as Essex Bridge. Essex Bridge was constructed in 1676, but was damaged by a flood in 1687. Various repairs were carried out but the old bridge was demolished in 1753. The new Essex Bridge was opened in 1755.

In 1874 Essex Bridge having been remodelled and pavements added was reopened as Grattan Bridge. A stone built road-bridge, it has cast iron supports extending on either side carrying pavements. The cast iron lamp standards on the bridge represent the mythical hippocampus.

Grattan Bridge, one of twenty four road, rail and passenger bridges which span the river Liffey in the greater Dublin area, was opened as Essex Bridge in the year 1755 On This Day.

Grattan Bridge – Dublin

Grattan Bridge Lamp Standard

Grattan [Essex] Bridge – Dublin