19 November-Dunmore Cave

Dunmore Cave is located about 11 Km North of Kilkenny City, Ireland close to the road linking the city to Castlecomer town. The cave contains many passages and is 150 feet below the surface at its deepest. It has several calcite formations the most spectacular of which is known as the Market Cross, measuring over 5m high and 1.3m across. The cave is open to the public and was designated as a national monument in 1944.

Reference to the cave, which is a 300 million years old limestone formation, can be found in documents dating back centuries. The Annals, for instance, tell of a Viking massacre which occurred at the cave in 928 AD. Later investigations showed that the remains discovered were the bodies of nineteen female adults and twenty five children. Excavations at various times have uncovered bodies, coins, weapons and various artefacts dating back to Viking times. The cave is referred to in many publications including the Dublin Penny Journal. Kilkenny native Bishop George Berkeley wrote an account of a visit he made to the cave in 1706.

At the end of the 1999 tourist season, a tourist guide who was tidying up discovered a hoard of silver and bronze items which dated back to 970 AD. Among the items found were some coins from the North East of England and others from Baghdad. Officials described the find as “very exciting and of major significance”. The cave was closed to the public so that further archaeological works could be carried out. The announcement of the discovery of the hoard of coins and jewellery which was over 1,000 years old, and its transfer to the National Museum in Dublin was made on January 13th 2000. Following the archaeological works extensive redevelopment at the cave was undertaken before it was reopened to the public in 2003.

The hoard of coins and jewellery dating back over 1,000 years was discovered in Dunmore Cave in the year 1999 On This Day.

Dunmore Cave by Olivier Bruchez on 2011-08-01 17:23:32

Dunmore Cave photo

Dunmore Cave by Olivier Bruchez on 2011-08-01 16:32:37

Photo by Olivier Bruchez


07 November-Millennium Bridge Dublin

Thompson of Carlow, Ireland manufactured and installed the Millennium Bridge which spans the river Liffey near Dublin City centre. It is a pedestrian bridge located just over 100m upriver from the Ha’penny Bridge. The Ha’penny Bridge, also a pedestrian bridge, was 200 years old in 2016. Thompson, an Original Equipment Manufacturer, is one of the longest established steel fabricators in Ireland.

A pedestrian bridge linking Temple Bar with the north quays was first proposed in the 1980’s. With the year 2000 approaching the bridge, like many others around the world, became a millennium project. It is one of at least fourteen bridges which were built to mark the new millennium in countries such as the United Kingdom, Montenegro, Poland, the United States and Russia. The Millennium Bridge links Temple Bar on the south side of the Liffey with the north quays.

Dublin Corporation held an international competition in 1998 to design the new bridge. The competition attracted 157 entries and the chosen design was for a lightweight steel span projecting from concrete supports on the quay walls. The steel span is 41m long and 4m wide. While the central span was being manufactured at Thompson’s engineering works in Carlow the platforms on either side of the river were being built another Carlow based firm Formwork 2000+.

When the 60 tonne steel span was completed in Carlow it was transported 80km by road to Dublin. On arrival on the quays in Dublin it was lifted onto the prepared concrete supports by crane. The bridge was opened to the public on December 20th 1999.

The central span of Dublin’s Millennium Bridge took just half an hour to be lifted and fixed into position across the Liffey in the year 1999 On This Day.

Millennium Bridge (Dublin) by infomatique on 2014-05-31 12:20:24

The Millennium Bridge – Dublin by infomatique on 2008-10-05 17:35:30

Millennium Bridge Dublin photo

Millennium Bridge

Photo by muddyclay

20 October-Jack Lynch

Jack Lynch was a sportsman and politician who served two terms as Taoiseach of Ireland from 1966 to 1973 and 1977 to 1979. Prior to entering politics Lynch had a successful sporting career in Gaelic Games. He won All-Ireland medals in both Hurling and football.

Jack Lynch was born John Mary Lynch in Cork City Ireland on August 15th 1917. He was educated locally and having studied law was called to the bar in 1945. On the sports field Lynch won five All-Ireland hurling medals with Cork (1941-4 and 1946). He won an All-Ireland football medal with cork in 1945.

The Fianna Fáil political party asked Jack Lynch to stand as a candidate in the General Election of 1948. He was elected as TD for the Cork Borough constituency. He was returned to Dáil Éireann for the constituency at each subsequent election until his retirement in 1981.

Jack Lynch served in several ministries before being elected Taoiseach in 1966. As Taoiseach he had to deal with the outbreak of civil unrest and the collapse of the Government of Northern Ireland. In 1970 he dismissed two cabinet members during the Arms Crisis. Lynch developed the idea of a power sharing administration between Unionists and Nationalists as a solution to the Northern Ireland problem.

In 1973 Jack Lynch signed the EEC accession treaty. He was defeated in the General Election which followed and went into opposition for four years. He was returned as Taoiseach in the General Election of 1977 but resigned in 1979. He retired from politics in 1981.

Jack Lynch died at the age of 82 in the year 1999 On This Day.

Department of Taoiseach by Nico Kaiser on 2012-10-22 14:04:54

27 September-LIT Tipperary

Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) is an institution of higher education in Limerick, Ireland which offers courses from undergraduate through to PhD. The Institute also caters for craft apprentices and adult and continuing education. LIT which has a student population of 7,000 has campuses in Limerick city, Thurles and Clonmel in County Tipperary and in Ennis, County Clare.

The campuses in Thurles and Clonmel are known as LIT Tipperary. They were formerly known as Tipperary Rural and Business Development Institute and operated under the name of Tipperary Institute. Tipperary Institute was opened in 1999. In 2011 it was merged with LIT and the name was changed to LIT Tipperary. LIT Tipperary provides courses fully accredited under the Higher Education and Training awards Council.

Tipperary Rural and Business Development Institute, now LIT Tipperary, was officially opened in the year 1999 On This Day.

Creators of Modern Warfare 3 networking technology meet LIT-Tipperary Students by RedCraig on 2012-01-11 12:12:10

Tipperary Institute Schoolworks 2007 by topgold on 2007-03-05 14:29:34


11 June-DeForest Kelley

DeForest Kelley was an American actor, author and singer who is best known for his role as Dr McCoy in the TV series Star Trek. Prior to Star Trek he acted in movies such as Fear in the Night, Variety Girl and in several Westerns. Kelley published two books of poetry.

Jackson DeForest Kelley was born in Toccoa, Georgia, USA on January 20th 1920. He was educated locally and graduated from high school in 1938. Kelley worked at various jobs, including local theatres and as a youth sang at his father’s church. During World War II he served in the United States Army Air Forces. He was assigned to the First Motion Picture Unit making propaganda and training films.

After the War Kelley joined Paramount Pictures. He played various roles in several films. He became famous as Dr Leonard “Bones” McCoy in the television series Star Trek which ran from 1966 to 1969. He later played the same role in the successful Star Trek Movies.

DeForest Kelley, who played Dr Leonard “Bones” McCoy of the USS Enterprise in Star Trek, died at the age of 79 at his home in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California in the year 1999 On This Day.

Dr. Leonard McCoy by Neil Tackaberry on 2011-09-06 22:26:31

celebrity-pictures-deforest-kelley-jim-pregnant by wackyvorlon on 2009-10-11 01:21:54