Kilkenny Courthouse is located on Parliament Street in Kilkenny City. Dating from 1210 it was formerly the home of the Grace family and was known as Grace’s Castle. It is described as a building of national significance and one of the oldest buildings in Kilkenny.
In 1566 James Grace, who at the time was Governor of Ireland, leased his castle to the state for use as a gaol. The castle was converted to a courthouse in 1792. Though remodelled and restored on several occasions it has remained a courthouse ever since.
Following its most recent restoration Kilkenny Courthouse was officially opened in the year 2010 On This Day.
Court House, Kilkenny, 1990 by National Library of Ireland on The Commons on 1990-12-01 11:00:00
Court House, Kilkenny, 1908 by National Library of Ireland on The Commons on 1908-07-01 00:00:00