Carlow Railway Station, which serves Carlow in the southeast of Ireland, is a station on the Dublin to Waterford intercity route. It is one of just two railway stations still operational in County Carlow. The station which has become increasingly important for commuters has served the people of Carlow for almost 170 years.
Carlow railway station, which was designed by Sir John Benjamin Macneill was originally designed as a terminus. The buildings are constructed of yellow brick and have offices and waiting areas. William Dargan from Killeshin near Carlow town, who built over 1,300km of railway lines in Ireland, was the engineer for the railway line to Carlow. The first train from Dublin arrived at Carlow town railway station on August 4th 1846.
Over the following decades the rail network in County Carlow was gradually expanded. The line to Carlow was extended southwards and a station was opened in Bagnalstown on July 24th 1848. There was an intermediate station at Milford about 6km south of Carlow town. Bagnalstown Station was renamed Bagenalstown Station in 1910. The name was changed to Muine Bheag Station in 1988.
It was decided in 1854 to construct a railway from Bagnalstown to Borris in south County Carlow. Carlow MP, Arthur MacMurrough Kavanagh, was a strong supporter of the project and the station in Borris was opened on December 11th 1858. There was an intermediate station at Ballyellen.
The town of Tullow was now the only urban centre in Carlow without a train service. The town was eventually connected to the rail network when the railway line was extended from Baltinglass to Tullow. Tullow railway station opened on June 1st 1886. There was an intermediate stop at Rathvilly.
By the late 1800’s there were seven railway stations in County Carlow. However, as road transport developed, passenger numbers and goods using the railways began to decline and railway stations were closed down. The railway station at Tullow was shut down on June 15th 1959 and other stations were subsequently closed. Today there are just two railway stations in County Carlow, Carlow town and Muine Bheag.
Borris railway station in south County Carlow was closed in the year 1963 On This Day.
March 23, 1963 by National Library of Ireland on The Commons on 1963-03-23 16:53:37
Borris Viaduct, Borris, County Carlow by David Bergin Photography on 2015-03-31 16:19:53