The Dublin tram service began operation on February 1st 1872. The first service, which was horse drawn, travelled 3km from College Green near the city centre to the suburb of Rathgar. Routes from the city centre to other suburbs were added during the following years. By 1880 the Dublin tram service had trams running over 51 route kilometres.
Electrification of the Dublin tram system began in 1896. The first tram powered by electricity travelled from the suburb of Clontarf to Dublin city centre on March 19th 1898. The entire tram system was converted to electricity by January 1901. The network was extended to several other Dublin suburbs eventually running over 97 route kilometres.
The tram system in Dublin in the early part of the twentieth century was profitable and heavily used. The 1913 lockout and the political upheaval from 1916 to 1922 had a major impact on the system. From 1923 trams had to compete with buses and by the late 1920’s some of the lines went out of service. The decline continued and the tram service in Dublin city ceased in 1949.
The last Dublin Tram left Dublin city centre for the suburb of Dalkey in the year 1949 On This Day.
Stereoview detail- Sackville Street, Dublin, Ireland 1896 by Aussie~mobs on 2012-01-16 22:00:59
Horse Trams at corner of Bachelor’s Walk and O’Connell Bridge by National Library of Ireland on The Commons on 1897-01-01 00:00:00
No. 9 to Donnybrook by National Library of Ireland on The Commons on 1940-05-01 00:00:00