The islands of Inishgort and Inishlyre are two of the 117 islands in the eastern half of Clew Bay off the coast of Mayo on the west coast of Ireland. In common with several of Ireland’s islands they were not connected the national electricity grid until early the 21st century. Inishlyre which has about four residents, is just a ten minute boat journey from the mainland. It was the first location in Mayo to have a Lifeboat Station which was established in 1857. Inishgort, on which a lighthouse stands, is a further ten minutes to the west. In July 2000 the light in the lighthouse was converted to solar power.
The Electricity Supply Board (ESB) was established in Ireland under Electricity Supply Act of 1927. It was one of the first major industrial undertakings of the newly established Irish state. Its purpose was take charge of existing electrical schemes in Ireland and take responsibility for Shannon Hydro-Electric Scheme then under construction. Engineers, Mr Paddy Dowling, Linkardstown, Tinryland County Carlow and Mr William F. Roe, 25 Patrick Street Kilkenny, were among its first eleven employees.
When completed the Shannon Scheme supplied electricity to the cities and larger towns in Ireland. Smaller villages and rural areas were not connected to the grid. The rural electrification scheme, which has been described as ‘the Quiet Revolution’ commenced on November 5th 1946 at Killsallagahan in County Dublin. The scheme was led by William Roe and Paddy Dowling. Electricity was gradually brought to all parts of the country. However it did not reach InishLyre and Inishgort until 2001. Other islands such as Inishturbot and Inishturk off the west coast were connected to the national grid in 2003.
The islands of Inishgort and Inishlyre in Clew Bay Co Mayo were connected to the national electricity grid in the year 2001 On This Day.
Clew Bay from Croagh Patrick, County Mayo, Ireland by chrispd1975 on 2008-04-03 10:36:19