The Heritage Council is located in Kilkenny City, Ireland. It is a statutory body which was established under the Heritage Act, 1995. The Heritage Council describes as its mission ‘to engage, educate and advocate to develop a wider understanding of the vital contribution that our heritage makes to our social, environmental & economic well-being’.
Fourteen year after its establishment, the Heritage Council moved to its permanent home in the former Bishop’s Palace in the Cathedral quarter of Kilkenny City. The Bishop’s Palace which dates back to 1350 has seen many alterations down through the centuries. The Heritage Council agreed to purchase and conserve the building. A new See House for the Bishop was built nearby.
The new headquarters of Heritage Council in the Bishops Palace, Kilkenny was officially opened by President Mary McAleese in the year 2008 On This Day.
Heritage Council Headquarters, Kilkenny