Hadden’s Shopping Centre is located on Tullow Street in Carlow town, Ireland. The Centre is home to Hadden’s Department Store and several other businesses. Hadden’s, one of the oldest businesses in Carlow has been in operation for over one hundred years.
The Hadden family business was established in Wexford town in 1848 by George and Francis Hadden. The family opened a shop on Tullow Street in Carlow town in 1909. In April 1984 the shop, which traded under the name of W G Hadden Ltd, was destroyed by fire. Smoke from the fire could be seen from a long distance and thousands of people came to Carlow town centre to watch as the business was destroyed.
The fire was fought by Carlow Fire Service. Assistance was sought from Kilkenny Fire Service. Kilkenny sent its snorkel and a water tender from Thomastown. It took almost two days to completely extinguish the fire. Nobody was hurt but the damage was estimated at the time to be well over one million pounds.
Haddens Department Store in Tullow St, Carlow was engulfed by flames and subsequently burned to the ground in 1984 On This Day.