Narcissus Marsh, who served as Archbishop of Dublin from 1694 to 1703, established Marsh’s Library in Dublin in 1707. Located adjacent to St Patricks Cathedral it was Ireland’s first public library. Today Marsh’s Library continues to operate as a library in its original building. Almost 20,000 people from Ireland and across the globe visit Marsh’s Library every year.
Narcissus Marsh was born at Hannington, Wiltshire, England in 1638. He was educated at Magdalen Hall, Oxford and ordained in 1662. He was sent to Ireland as Provost of Trinity College Dublin in 1679. At Trinity he was responsible for several major developments and actively promoted the Irish language. Marsh later served as Bishop of Ferns and Leighlin, Archbishop of Cashel and Archbishop of Dublin. He died on November 2nd 1713 aged 74.
Narcissus Marsh, who established Marsh’s Library in Dublin in 1707, was born in the year 1638 On This Day.