Ristorante Rinuccini is located on the Parade in Kilkenny City, Ireland. The award winning Italian restaurant has been in operation in Kilkenny for over twenty five years. It takes its name from Archbishop Giovanni Battista Rinuccini. He was Papal Nuncio to Ireland during the Confederation of Kilkenny which lasted from 1642 to 1649. During his time in Ireland Rinuccini lived mainly in Kilkenny.
Giovanni Battista Rinuccini was born in Rome in 1592. Having had a Jesuit education in Rome he went on to study at the Universities of Bologna, Perugia and Pisa. He was appointed Archbishop of Fermo on Italy’s Adriatic coast in 1625. In March 1645 he was sent as Papal Nuncio to the Irish Confederation by Pope Innocent X. The main objective of his mission was to ensure that Catholicism could be practised freely in Ireland while maintaining the supremacy of the monarchy.
Rinuccini left Rome in 1645. He travelled to La Rochelle in France where he purchased a frigate called the San Pietro. He loaded the San Pietro with military equipment. He then set sail for Ireland with a large retinue which included Irish officers. Rinuccini landed at Kenmare County Kerry on October 22nd 1645. He was escorted by Confederate troops to Kilkenny, which was then the Confederate capital of Ireland.
On November 13th 1645 Rinuccini arrived in Kilkenny, where he was received with great pomp and ceremony. During his time in Ireland he made several attempts to fulfil his mission but was frustrated by division and factionalism. In 1649 Rinuccini left Ireland in despair where he said ‘the sun had never shone on him’. He returned to his diocese in Fermo where he died in 1653 at the age of 61.
Rinuccini departed from Ireland in the year 1649 On This Day.
Rinuccini chapel, Sacristy, Basilica di Santa Croce, Florence
The Parade, Kilkenny by kilkennycoco