Waterford Airport is located at Killowen about 7.5km outside Waterford City. It is the only airport located in the Southeast of Ireland. The airport runway, which was 1,200-metre long when opened in 1981, was extended to 1433-metres in 1992.
Work began on the construction of Waterford Airport in 1981. The new airport was granted its first licence in 1982. In 1985 the first international flight departed from Waterford Airport. The flight was on a Ryanair twin turbo prop aircraft which could seat 15 passengers. The airline carried 5,000 passengers in its first year. In 2014 Waterford Airport catered for over 30,000 passengers.
The first international flight left Waterford Airport for Gatwick London in the year 1985 On This Day.
Sikorsky S-61N by Miguel Mendez on 2013-09-15 15:43:41
Best 47 by Irish Defence Forces on 2013-04-16 09:41:44