10 April-Grattan Bridge Dublin

Grattan Bridge is one of twenty four road, rail and passenger bridges which span the river Liffey in the greater Dublin area. The bridge connects Parliament Street and the south quays to Capel Street. It is named in honour of the politician Henry Grattan (1746-1820). Grattan was one of the leaders of the opposition to the Act of Union of 1800.

Located 800m upriver from the Ha’penny Bridge, Grattan Bridge was originally known as Essex Bridge. Essex Bridge was constructed in 1676, but was damaged by a flood in 1687. Various repairs were carried out but the old bridge was demolished in 1753. The new Essex Bridge was opened in 1755.

In 1874 Essex Bridge having been remodelled and pavements added was reopened as Grattan Bridge. A stone built road-bridge, it has cast iron supports extending on either side carrying pavements. The cast iron lamp standards on the bridge represent the mythical hippocampus.

Grattan Bridge, one of twenty four road, rail and passenger bridges which span the river Liffey in the greater Dublin area, was opened as Essex Bridge in the year 1755 On This Day.

Grattan Bridge – Dublin

Grattan Bridge Lamp Standard

Grattan [Essex] Bridge – Dublin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*