St. Vincent’s Hospital is located at Elm Park on the south side of Dublin City, Ireland. Founded in 1834 by Mother Mary Aikenhead of the Religious Sisters of Charity, it was renamed St. Vincent’s University Hospital in 1999. It is a major teaching hospital and a principal teaching hospital of University College Dublin.
St. Vincent’s Hospital was first established at 56 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin in 1834. The hospital expanded rapidly, becoming a training school for nurses and doctors. In 1852 Florence Nightingale visited St Vincent’s to observe the work of the Sisters of Charity. The hospital moved to Elm Park in 1970 and today it is a major academic teaching hospital.
St. Vincent’s Hospital, a major teaching hospital and a principal teaching hospital of University College Dublin, was established in the year 1834 On This Day.
St Vincents Hospital, Main Entrance