04 August-Carlow Railway Station

Carlow Railway Station in the southeast of Ireland, which has become increasingly important for commuters, is on the Dublin to Waterford intercity route. It has served the people of Carlow for the past 169 years and in June 2013 was voted best station in Leinster. 1,274 passengers either boarded or alighted from a train at Carlow Railway Station on Rail Census day in 2013 (Boarding: 657. Alighting: 617. National Transport Authority).

The first train journey in Ireland was made on the Dublin to Dún Laoghaire (Kingstown) railway line on October 9th 1834. The line was built by Carlow engineer William Dargan who would eventually build over 1300km of railway all over Ireland. In the following decades the construction of railways expanded rapidly. In 1845 construction began on the line from Dublin to Cork. A branch from this line was built to Carlow. The lines were constructed by William Dargan. The railway station at Carlow was designed by Dundalk engineer John Benjamin Macneill. The station, which was originally designed as a terminus, now has two platforms. The buildings are constructed of yellow brick and have offices and waiting areas. The station was closed for goods traffic on June 9th 1976.

During the 19th century horse racing was held in Carlow at Ballybar which is about 9km south of Carlow town. The opening of Carlow railway station was brought forward to accommodate racegoers for the 1846 meeting. When race meetings were held in the following years special trains, carrying both hoses and spectators were organised for the races.

A signaller error caused a minor accident at Carlow rail station at 7.30am on November 24th 1900. On that occasion the southbound train from Kildare to Kilkenny was stopped at the station. The northbound train from Kilkenny to Kildare was misrouted as it came into Carlow station resulting in a head on collision. The driver of the northbound train had succeeded in slowing his train to about 10km/h. there were no fatalities but seven passengers complained of minor injuries.

There was great excitement when the first train arrived at the newly opened railway station in Carlow town in the year 1846 On This Day.


Carlow Railway Station

By OTD.ie

09 September-Teresa Lalor

Teresa Lalor, who was a native of Co Laois Ireland, was a founder of the Visitation Order of Nuns first monastery in the United States. The Visitation Order is an enclosed Roman Catholic religious order for women.

Teresa Lalor was born in Laois but moved with her family to Ballyragget, Co Kilkenny as a child. As a young woman she wanted to join the Presentation Order in Kilkenny but in 1794 was persuaded by her parents to accompany her older sister to America.

In Georgetown Washington DC she co-founded a religious community. The community eventually became part of the Visitation Order. As Mother Teresa she became the first superior and served in that position until 1819.

Mother Teresa Lalor died in the year 1846 On This Day.

Book of Hours – caption: ‘The Visitation’ by The British Library on 2014-02-11 14:39:55

Foulksrath Castle – Ballyragget by Row 17 on 2012-09-25 20:02:25

27 June-Charles Stewart Parnell

Charles Stewart Parnell was an Irish nationalist politician who was describe during the 1880’s as the ‘un-crowned King of Ireland’. He was a member of the British Parliament from 1875 to 1891. Parnell was a land reform agitator and the leader of the struggle for Irish Home Rule in the late 19th century.

Charles Stewart Parnell was born at Avondale House, Co Wicklow in 1846. His father was a landlord. Parnell was elected to parliament for Meath in 1875 and two years later at the age of 31 was elected to lead the Home Rule Confederation. He became president of the Irish Land League which had been founded in 1879 by Michael Davitt.

With Parnell as President and Davitt as one of its secretaries the Land League led opposition to eviction and set out to make landlordism unworkable. During the Land War from 1879 to 1882 it pursued three aims for tenants, fair rent, free sale and fixity of tenure. It led opposition to evictions and brought about reductions in rents. The campaign by the Land League would eventually lead to Land Acts being passed which allowed tenants to purchase their land.

In 1882 the Home Rule League became the Irish Parliamentary Party with Parnell as President. Following the election of 1885 the Irish Parliamentary Party held the balance of power in the Westminster Parliament. This led to the introduction of the first Irish Home Rule Bill in April 1886.

Parnell continued to lead the Irish Parliamentary Party until 1890. In that year Parnell’s adulterous affair with Katherine O’Shea, wife of Captain William O’Shea MP for Galway became public. This resulted in widespread condemnation of Parnell by some members of his party, the Catholic Church, British politicians and the Prime Minister.

Parnell was removed as leader of the parliamentary party. He continued to lead the section of his party which remained loyal to him. In June 1891 he married Katherine O’Shea and later campaigned for his candidate in a by-election Carlow. He died at the age of 45 on October 6th 1891.

Parnell was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin. His funeral in Dublin was attended by over 200,000 people. Ivy Day (Lá an Eidhneáin) is held each year in memory of Charles Stewart Parnell. It commenced on the first anniversary of his death and has continued to this day on the Sunday nearest the date of his death.

Charles Stewart Parnell was born in Avondale House Co. Wicklow in the year 1846 On This Day.

Image from page 192 of “The uncrowned king : the life and public services of Hon. Charles Stewart Parnell ; comprising a graphic story of his ancestry; also family reminiscences, related by his aged mother, Delia Tudor Stewart Parnell … ; also, a bilgra by Internet Archive Book Images on 1891-01-01 00:00:00

Charles Stewart Parnell by bonnieann1815 on 2009-07-05 11:08:01