14 September-Duke of Wellington

Erindale, a house near Carlow on the Kilkenny road, Ireland, was once the home of the Duke of Wellington. It is said that the Duke, whose name is on the deeds, bought the house as a residence for his Irish mistress. The house stands on 12 hectares of parkland overlooking the river Barrow.

Arthur Wellesley the 1st duke of Wellington was born in Dublin on May 1st 1769. He grew up at the family home in Dublin and at Dangan Castle near Trim in County Meath. He attended school in Trim and in Dublin before being enrolled at Eton College in England. Wellesley felt lonely and hated his time in Eton. He moved with his mother to Brussels in 1785. He attended the French Royal Academy of Equitation in Angers where he excelled at horsemanship and learned French.

Wellesley served as a member of the Irish Parliament from 1790 for five years. He joined the army and served in the Netherlands, India and in the Peninsular Campaign (1806-1808) of the Napoleonic wars. During the Peninsular Campaign Dr James Doyle, who was later installed in Carlow as Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin (JKL), was studying at the University of Coimbra in Portugal. He joined the British Army at Coimbra and accompanied Wellesley to Lisbon as an interpreter.

Wellesley married Kitty Pakenham, the daughter of Lord Longford, in 1806. He had been a frequent visitor to her home in Dublin and had asked to marry her in 1796. However her family did not approve of the marriage at that stage, because they felt Wellesley prospects were poor.

In 1814 when Napoleon was exiled to Elba, Wellesley was bestowed with the title Duke of Wellington and was appointed as ambassador to France. However Napoleon escaped from Elba in February 1815. He returned to lead the French Government and shortly thereafter, found himself at war with a coalition of nations, including Great Britain and Prussia. On June 18th 1815 the Seventh Coalition of Nations which was led by the Duke of Wellington and Gebhard von Blücher decisively defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo.

The Duke of Wellington later served a Prime Minister of the United Kingdom on two occasions, from 1828 to 1830 and again for a period of two months in 1834. He played a leading role in the introduction of the Catholic Relief Act (Catholic Emancipation). The act was finally passed in 1829 while Wellington was Prime Minister and Dr Doyle, a close ally and supporter of Daniel O’Connell, was Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin. Wellington continued as a leading politician in the British House of Lords. He remained Commander-in-Chief of the British Army until his death.

Arthur Wellesley the 1st duke of Wellington died at Walmer Castle Kent, England at the age of 83 in the year 1852 On This Day.

Duke of Wellington by davidshort on 2016-04-21 15:48:16

Richard, Duke of Wellington by adactio on 2006-01-20 23:06:37

21 May-St Anne’s Church Carlow

St Anne’s Church of Ireland was built on the Athy Road, Carlow, Ireland in 1852. It was dismantled and re-erected in Graiguecullen on the west bank of the river Barrow, where it was dedicated as St Clares Roman Catholic Church in 1929. It had been sold to the parish of Graiguecullen for a nominal sum in 1926.

143

Henry Bruen of Oak Park, Carlow defeated Daniel O’Connell Jnr in the General Election of 1852 to become MP for Carlow. Bruen’s supporters held a collection to make the new MP a presentation to celebrate his success. Bruen suggested that the £2,000 which had been collected be put towards the building of a Church on a site he owned at Kelvin Grove on the Athy Road. The Gothic style Church, which was designed by architect John MacDuff Derrick, was cruciform in shape. It was built in 1852 and was called St Anne’s. The church was used by the local congregation during the following decades. However in the early 1900’s it was closed due to small numbers attending church services.

At that time St Fiacc’s Parish Church on the west side of the River Barrow in Graiguecullen (then Graigue Carlow) was overcrowded and in poor condition. The Parish Priest of St Fiacc’s was the Very Reverned M. H. Bolger, who had served as an army chaplain during World War 1. He was friendly with Henry Bruen of Oak Park, who had served in the Royal Artillery during World War 1. Henry Bruen was a descendant of the Bruen who had built St Anne’s Church. They were both golfing enthusiasts and Fr Bolger had played a part in Carlow Golf Club becoming tenants of Deerpark in 1922. Deerpark was then owned by the Bruen family. In 1926 it was announced that Mr Bruen had sold St Anne’s at a nominal price to Fr Bolger.

St Anne’s was dismantled and brought to its present location in Graiguecullen. The work was undertaken by Carlow Engineering firm Thompson and Sons. The new church was opened and dedicated on October 13th 1928.

The foundation stone for St Anne’s Church containing a scroll and coins of the realm was laid by Elizabeth Joyce Derick, wife of the architect, on the Athy Road, Carlow, Ireland in the year 1852 On This Day.

IMG_0029IMG_0033

St Clare’s Church, Graiguecullen, Carlow

 

21 May-St Anne’s Church Carlow

St Anne’s Church of Ireland on Athy Road Carlow, Ireland was dismantled and moved to Graiguecullen where it was dedicated as St Clares Catholic Church 1929. Henry Bruen of Oak Park, Carlow defeated Daniel O’Connell Jnr in the General Election of 1852 to become MP for Carlow. Bruen’s supporters held a collection to make the new MP a presentation to celebrate his success. Bruen suggested that the £2,000 which had been collected be put towards the building of a Church on a site he owned at Kelvin Grove on the Athy Road. The Gothic style Church which was cruciform was in shape and built in 1852 was called St Anne’s. The church was used by the local congregation during the following decades. However in the early 1900’s it was closed due to small numbers attending church services.

At that time St Fiacc’s Parish Church on the west side of the River Barrow in Graiguecullen (then Graigue Carlow) was overcrowded and in poor condition. The Parish Priest of St Fiacc’s was the Very Reverned M. H. Bolger who had served as an army chaplain during World War 1. He was friendly with Henry Bruen of Oak Park who had served in the Royal Artillery during World War 1 and was a descendant of the Bruen who had built St Anne’s Church. They were both golfing enthusiasts and Fr Bolger had played a part in Carlow Golf Club becoming tenants of Deerpark in 1922. Deerpark was then owned by the Bruen family. In 1925 it was announced that Mr Bruen had sold St Anne’s at a nominal price to Fr Bolger.

St Anne’s was dismantled and brought to its present location in Graiguecullen. The work was undertaken by Carlow Engineering firm Thompson and Sons. The new church was opened and dedicated on October 13th 1928.

The foundation stone for St Anne’s Church containing a scroll and coins of the realm was laid by Elizabeth Joyce Derick, wife of the architect John MacDuff Derrick, in the year 1852 On This Day.

Graiguecullen photo

 

Photo by The Labour Party

14 September-Duke of Wellington

Eirndale, a house near Carlow on the Kilkenny road was once the home of the Duke of Wellington. Arthur Wellesley the 1st duke of Wellington was born in Dublin in 1769. With Gerhard Von Blucher he led the Seventh Coalition of Nations to defeat Napoleon Bonaparte at the battle of Waterloo in 1815. The Duke of Wellington died in the year 1852 On This Day

Erindale House photo

Photo by Dave Hamster