16 April-Saint Bernadette

The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes in Southern France attracts over 5 million pilgrims of all denominations from all over the world every year. Located in the foothills of the Pyrenees, Lourdes has a population of just 15,000. It is the birthplace of Bernadette Soubirous, better known as Saint Bernadette.

Bernadette Soubirous was born on January 7th 1844. Her family lived in Poor circumstances. At the age of 14 Bernadette was gathering firewood with her sister and a friend when she experienced her first vision. She said she saw ‘a small young lady’ in a grotto when she was attempting to cross a stream. Her sister and friend said they saw nothing.

Over the following weeks Bernadette said she experienced a succession of visions. Following frequent requests Bernadette said the vision eventually told her that ‘I am the Immaculate Conception’. The water in the stream at the grotto which had always been muddy became clear. Bernadette’s parents were embarrassed by her claims and tried to stop her visiting the grotto. The claims caused a sensation in Lourdes.

Despite many attempts by her parents and church and civil authorities to get her to recant her accounts, Bernadette steadfastly stuck to her story. In order to avoid the constant public attention she became a boarder at a school run by the Sisters of Charity. She became a member of the Sisters of Charity at the age of 22 in 1866. She spent the remainder of her short life in a convent in Nevers 700km to the north of Lourdes.

The Roman Catholic Church was initially sceptical about the claims of Bernadette but after years of investigation her claims were deemed ‘worthy of belief’. The Church has officially recognised 69 healings which have no physical or psychological basis and are deemed miraculous. The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes has become a site of pilgrimage for worshippers from around the world. Bernadette Soubirous was canonized by Pope Pius XI on December 8th 1933.

Saint Bernadette died at the age of 35 on April 16th 1879.

Saint Bernadette

Lourdes photo

Lourdes by cocoate.com on 2011-07-11 13:59:12

 

 

02 April-William Hamilton VC

William Hamilton was a native of Co Kilkenny Ireland. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1879. He won the award, at the age of 22, for bravery shown whilst serving with the Indian Army in Afghanistan. The Victoria Cross is awarded for ‘most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy’. The Victoria Cross has been awarded to 168 soldiers from Ireland, six of whom were born in Kilkenny.

Walter Richard Pollock Hamilton was born in Inistioge, County Kilkenny on August 18th 1856. In April 1879 he was serving as a lieutenant in the Staff Corps and Corps of Guides of the Indian Army during the Second Afghan War. He was leading the Cavalry against very superior numbers at Futtehabad when the following event took place for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

‘…at a critical moment when his Commanding Officer (Major Wigram Battye) fell, Lieutenant Hamilton, then the only Officer left with the Regiment, assumed command and cheered on his men to avenge Major Battye’s death. In this charge Lieutenant Hamilton, seeing Sowar Dowlut Ram down, and attacked by three of the enemy, whilst entangled with his horse (which had been killed) rushed to the rescue, and followed by a few of his men cut down all three and saved the life of Sowar Dowlut Ram.

Lieutenant Hamilton continued to serve in Afghanistan. He was killed during the storming of the British embassy in Kabul on September 3rd 1879. There are memorials to Lieutenant Hamilton in Inistioge Church, Kilkenny, Horse Show Hall Ballsbridge, Dublin and at Christ Church, Rawalpindi, Pakistan. A statue to him which was located at the National Museum in Dublin is now on display at the national Army Museum in London.

William Hamilton was awarded the Victoria Cross for his gallantry during an engagement in Afghanistan, which occurred in the year 1879 On This Day.

Victoria Cross

 

 

14 March-Einstein

Albert Einstein was a physicist who developed the general theory of relativity. A native of Germany he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921. Einstein is generally regarded as the most influential physicist of the 20th century.

Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Württemberg, Germany in 1879. His family moved to Munich when he was just six weeks old. Einstein grew and went to school there until he was 16 years of age. He qualified as a teacher of mathematics and physics from Zurich Polytechnic, Switzerland in 1900. Following qualification Einstein failed to find work as a teacher. He was eventually employed by the patent office in Bern, Switzerland.

In 1905 Einstein was awarded a PhD by the University of Zürich. In that same year he deduced the equation E=mc2, the origins of the development of nuclear power, in his paper on matter and energy. He became well known as a physicist and went on to work first at the University of Zurich in 1908, University of Bern 1909, and Prague in 1911. In 1914 he was appointed professor at the University of Berlin where he remained until 1933. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921.

In 1933 Albert Einstein renounced his German citizenship and moved to the United States to avoid persecution by the Nazis. He was appointed to a position at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, New Jersey and became a United States citizen. In 1939 he signed a letter to the President of the United States Franklin D. Roosevelt alerting him to the possibility that the Nazis could be developing a nuclear bomb. It is thought that this letter led the American Government to establish a secret military project to produce the first US nuclear weapon. The project which was established in 1942 was known as the Manhattan Project.

Einstein remained at Princeton until he retired in 1945. He died in Princeton New Jersey at the age of 76 on April 18th 1955. He is credited with many quotes, one being: ‘When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That’s relativity’.

Albert Einstein was born in the year 1879 On This Day.

Einstei

 

 

04 January-Carlow Fire Brigade

Carlow Fire Brigade has its headquarters in Carlow town, Ireland. The Fire Brigade, which was founded as a volunteer fire service in the 19th century, is under the management of Carlow County Council. The aim of Carlow County Council Fire Authority is ‘to protect the public from fire and to preserve life and property’.

In the past the Fire Brigade division based at Carlow military barracks, and the local police, The Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC), were the only Fire Brigade service available in County Carlow. This placed Carlow in a much better position than most other counties. The military was able to provide a fire engine and personnel trained in its operation. The service was always made freely available to the authorities in Carlow.

In some other areas of the country, particularly the large cities, insurance companies employed fire services to attend to premises which they had insured. When the Towns Improvement Act was introduced in 1854 it allowed local authorities to provide fire related equipment for towns with a population greater than 1,500 people.

In 1878 the Carlow Town Commissioners decided to establish a volunteer service for Carlow. This was done in cooperation with such bodies as Carlow Rowing Club, The Athletic Club and The Racquet Club. The service was based near the town hall and the fire alarm was the bells of the nearby St Mary’s Church. Fire appliances were horse drawn until 1937 when Carlow got its first Motorised Fire Appliance.

In 1973 the Fire Station for the Carlow urban area moved to the Green Lane. The present fire station was built on the same site in 2002.Today together with the Fire Station in Carlow town there are also fire stations in Muinebheag (Bagenalstown), Tullow and Hacketstown. The County Carlow Fire Service deals with around 500 incidents annually. Over 50% of these incidents are dealt with by the Fire Brigade based in Carlow town. The Fire Service also has responsibility for building control in County Carlow.

The Carlow Volunteer Fire Service was established in the year 1879 On This Day.

 

 

 

03 January-President Ulysses S Grant

Ulysses S Grant served as President of the United States from 1869 to 1877. He stayed at the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin during a visit to Ireland. Grant, who arrived in Dublin in January 1879, was the first US President to visit Ireland.

Hiram Ulysses Grant was born in Point Pleasant, Ohio on April 27th 1822. His great grandfather had emigrated to America from Ballygawley, Co Tyrone in 1738. Grant was erroneously called Ulysses Simpson Grant when he entered West Point Military Academy. In 1863 President Lincoln appointed Grant overall Union Commander of the West. Grant led the Union army to victory in the American Civil War and served two terms as President of the USA.

President Grant was greeted by large crowds on arrival in Dublin. He visited The Mansion House, the Royal Irish Academy, Bank of Ireland on College Green, the Stock Exchange and Trinity College. Grant then visited City Hall where he was granted the freedom of Dublin. In a speech to a crowd that had assembled outside City Hall he said: “I am by birth a citizen of a country where there are more Irishmen, either native born or the descendants of Irishmen, than there are in all of Ireland.”

Following his arrival and welcome, Grant then spent the following two days taking in the sights in and around Dublin. During his five day visit to Ireland Grant also visited Derry and Belfast where he was also greeted by large crowds. His trip to Ireland was part of a wold tour which lasted two years and seven months.

President Ulysses S Grant arrived in Dublin in the year 1879 On This Day.

Ulysses S. Grant