09 April-Carlow Workman’s Club

Carlow Workman’s Club is located on Browne Street in Carlow town, Ireland. The club which is over 100 years old is run on a volunteer basis by its members. Working men’s clubs began to be established in the middle of the 19th century throughout, Ireland, Great Britain and in other parts of the world. They were established to provide recreation and education for working men and their families. The clubs are non-profit organisations run by members.

Meetings were held in Carlow town in late 1898 and early in 1899 to discuss the establishment of a Trade’s Council and Workman’s Club. The only requirement for membership was that the person wishing to become a member was a working man. The club was to be non-sectarian and non-political. A committee was established and a premises at 13 Browne Street was rented. The club, along with providing services for members, began to play an active part in the community. It sought to lobby politicians to improve housing standards. The Carlow Workman’s Club Dramatic Amateurs was established and a Brass Band was formed.

One of the members of the newly established Carlow Workman’s Club was Michael O’Hanrahan. He was later executed for his part in the Easter Rising of 1916. He appears to have played an active part in the activities of the club, including the expansion of club membership and the promotion of Irish workmanship. He also tried to use the club to promote the use of the Irish language. However his proposal to have information to club members circulated in Irish and English failed to succeed. O’Hanrahan resigned from the club when his proposal to refuse membership of the club to a Mr Hopkins was defeated. Mr Hopkins was a serving member of the British Army

Carlow Workman’s Club, which continues its activities today, held its first meeting at its premises on Brown Street, Carlow in the year 1899 On This Day.



Map of Carlow



06 March-Aspirin

Aspirin is a medication used to treat pain, fever, and inflammation. Also known as acetylsalicylic acid, aspirin was patented in 1899 to Felix Hoffman and Hermann Dreser of the German drug firm Bayer. Today it is one of the most widely used medications in the world. It is estimated that over 100 billion pills are consumed annually. It is regarded as a safe and effective medication.

The medical use of aspirin dates back to antiquity. An extract of the willow tree, its beneficial effects are described in various documents down through the centuries. In the late 19th century Bayer developed aspirin and began to sell it globally. Apart from treating pain, fever and inflammation, aspirin may also be beneficial in the treatment of a wide range of other conditions.

Aspirin was patented in the year 1899 On This Day.

Bayer Aspirin


08 January-Frederick York Wolseley

Frederick York Wolseley was a member of the Wolseley family of Tullow, Co Carlow, Ireland. He invented the first mechanical sheep shearing machine and with Herbert Austin was the producer of Wolseley motor cars. Wolseley lived in Australia for most of his life. A monument to Frederick York Wolseley stands in Wakool, New South Wales about 70km west of Deniliquin.

Frederick York Wolseley was born on March 16th 1837. His father died in 1840 and Frederick and his six siblings were raised by their mother. In 1854 at the age of 17 he emigrated to Australia to work on his brother-in-law’s sheep station near Deniliquin in New South Wales. He began to work on developing a sheep shearing machine. He invented the world’s first mechanical sheep shears for which a patent was obtained in 1884. He founded the Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Company Limited in Sydney in 1887.

In 1893 Wolseley moved to Birmingham, England. With Herbert Austin he established the Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Co. Pty Ltd which would later become Wolseley Engineering Ltd. Sales of the sheep shears was seasonal, so in 1895 they began producing Wolseley motor cars in Birmingham. Frederick York Wolseley died in 1899 and by 1913 Wolseley was selling 3,000 cars annually, making it the largest car manufacturer in Britain. Though production of Wolseley cars ceased in 1975 the company continued to grow and move into other areas of engineering. Today Wolseley describes itself as ‘the world’s leading specialist distributor of plumbing and heating products’.

The ancestral home of the Wolseley family in the town of Tullow is now the Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort. Originally known as Mount Aaron it became the home of the Wolseley family in 1725. Mount Wolseley was sold to the Patrician Order of brothers in 1925. They made the estate the Order’s world headquarters. The Order sold Mount Wolseley in 1994 and it was subsequently developed into a hotel, spa and golf resort. Several vintage rallies are staged there including the Gordon Bennett Rally.

Frederick York Wolseley Irish-born inventor and industrialist died in Norwood, Surrey, England in the year 1899 On This Day.

Wolseley photo

Wolseley 1100 of 1965 by Fotorus on 2013-09-08 12:53:15

Mount Wolseley photo

Mount Wolseley Golf Course. Photo by leppre 

Wolseley. The Institute built in 1928 to replace an earlier 1886 Institute


18 May-Carlow Golf Club

Carlow Golf Club is a championship 18-hole course located at Deerpark, Carlow, Ireland. It was originally located at Gotham near Carlow. Carlow Golf Club is regarded as one of the premier golf courses in Ireland. In Golf Digest Magazine’s ‘Top 100 Golf Courses in Ireland’, it is consistently ranked in the top 30.

Carlow Golf Club was officially opened in the townland of Gotham in July 1899 as 9-hole course. Gotham is located about 5km north of Carlow town. Known then as The Royal Leinster Golf Club it was established close to the railway station at Maganey. The Club was designated for use by golfers from both Carlow and Athy.

In the years following the opening of the golf course at Gotham, the number of members from Athy began to dwindle. Arising from this the club changed name to Carlow Golf Club on June 27th 1902. In the same year the club was affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland. The first captain of the club was Captain C. Duckett-Steuart.

Until 1922 Carlow Golf Club remained at Gotham. In that year it moved to its present location at Deerpark near Carlow town. Deerpark was then part of the De Bruen estate. The De Bruen estate was purchased by the Land Commission in 1960. The Land Commission sold the Deerpark site to Carlow Golf Club in May 1961.

Today Carlow Golf Club is regarded as one of the premier golf courses in Ireland. The sandy subsoil which makes the course naturally free-draining means the course can be played all year round. It has elevated tees, excellent dog-legs and large slick greens. The course has attracted many famous players down the years. Not least among these is Ryder Cup player Christy O Connor Jnr. O’Connor was the club professional for several years up until 1976.

Carlow Golf Club has played host to many prestigious tournaments such the 2002 Irish Close Championship and the 2005 World One Arm Championship. It is home to The Midland Scratch Cup, the oldest scratch cup in Ireland.

Carlow Golf Club was founded at a meeting in the Clubhouse Hotel on Dublin Street in Carlow town in the year 1899 On This Day.


Golf photo

Photo by 24ox24